Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Friday, June 25, 2004

Katolik Shinja Banned in Korea!

This blogger has been unable to access his blog since yesterday. This cryptic email message may provide the answer why:
    "J******,

    Since the Korean Ministry of Information and Communications banned blog urls suspected of passing along the Kim Seon Il video, I've accesed sites through U******.

    "I know this is unacceptable, but as a short term fix maybe we should pass this on as much as possible.

    "C******,

    "The K******G*"


[Names omitted to protect the innocent.]

Needless to say, this situation has me more than a little annoyed. As anyone can see by reading the posts below, I have offered no link to the video of the killing of Kim Sun-il; I have only offered outrage, condolences, and information. The only reason the Korean Ministry of Information and Communications could have for suspecting me is that I am a foreigner.

A few months ago, MBC, a state-funded Korean television network, famously broadcast images of the Nick Berg decapitation. The Korean media in many cases do not even mention that Kim Sun-il was beheaded.

I heard yesterday that the Korean Ministry of Information and Communications had made it illegal to link to the Kim Sun-il video on the Internet. It seems they have made a preemtive strike on this blog, which would never have any intention of linking to such an offensive video.

For those of you who are accessing this blog from outside of Korea, you are doing someting that is currently impossible here (although there are ways). I never thought I would meet Big Brother this way!

In the meantime, despite being banned, Katolik Shinja vows to blog on!