Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Observations on Catholic Converts

Karl Keating, Catholic apologist par excellence, in his latest E-Letter, observes the following about Catholic converts:
"Have you ever noticed the attitudinal difference between those who convert to the Catholic faith and those who abandon it and convert to some other faith?

"The convert to Catholicism comes into a bit of serenity. He is able to look at things at arm's length. He sees the good in the faith he left, and he appreciates that good. That it was admixed with error he regrets, but he is not so unsure or fearful in his new state that he fails to acknowledge the good found in his former religion."

How true! I have a much deeper appreciation for the adherence to the liturgy and the conservative orthodoxy of the The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod now as a Catholic than I ever did as a young man growing up in that tradition. And although never a formal member, I can say the same for the Anglican Communion, which provided me a kind of six-year way-station between Protestantism and Catholicism. While I recognize their shortcomings, I can now also recognize the elements of truth, the Catholic elements, that these traditions have proudly upheld since the Reformation.

I can also more fully appreciate the strengths of Christian groups I was never a part of: the devotion to scripture of Evangelicals, the devotion to the Spirit of Pentecostals, and even the charity of the Mainstream (Liberal) Protestants. I can even appreciate elements of non-Christian religions: the traditionalism of Judaism, the austere monotheism of Islam, the detachment of Buddhism, even the sensuality of Hinduism.

This does not mean that I embrace some sort of touchy-feely, sentimental, and false ecumenism or syncretism. While fully recognizing the errors of these religions, it is by the light of the Catholic Faith that I can see the truths, however partial, these other faiths contain and strive for. We believe that Catholicism alone has the whole of the truth, a rather scandalous claim in an age of relativism.

Karl Keating goes on to compare the convert to Catholicism with the convert from Catholicism:
"How often it is the opposite when the traffic is in the other direction! I can't remember ever reading complaints about their former faith by new Catholics, but I have read countless complaints about Catholicism by people who used to be loyal to Rome.

"The convert from Catholicism often is in a position not unlike that of the young man who, after jilting his girlfriend, finds that he can't say anything kind about her. Suddenly, all her lights are shadows; he must have been blinded or tricked by her to have given her any regard."

The apostate, by mistakenly rejecting the Church, can see no good in her. She is at best a source of repression and at worst the "Whore of Babylon." The sincere apostate must reject the Church in her entirety.

I must distinguish the sincere apostate from those who abandon the Faith not out of conviction, but rather out of convenience, e.g. those who feel offended that the Church will not conform to their own personal moral choices. These might say, "I'd still be Catholic if only they'd affirm my homosexual lifestyle, my irregular marriage, my whatever..."

I have a great deal more respect for the former than the latter.