Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Monday, July 19, 2004

The Islamic Call to Prayer

In Time out for Allah, author Carol Zeleski examines the current controversy involving the Islamic call to prayer in Detroit, and the "disturbance" non-Muslim residents claim it causes. She goes on to examine the issue from a different perpsective:
"Disturbing, no doubt. Unless--and here is a venture full of hazards--one could find a way to hear the call to prayer not as an alien voice but as a summons, a periodic reminder, for Christians as well as Muslims, for Catholics and Protestants too, of the 'one thing needful.'"

I had a similar experience during the year I lived in Malaysia. Hearing the call to prayer five times a day reminded me of the importance of prayer in my Christian life. The month of Ramadan reminded me of the importance of fasting and penance. Living among Muslims I learned to be a better Christian.

[Thanks to A Catholic Blog for Lovers for the link.]