Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Tuesday, August 17, 2004

My Father's Clean Bill of Health

My father's liver tests came back today A-OK. My father's good health is a surprise to all of us, given his love of a good drink and his four-pack-a-day smoking habit.

I'd like to thank all of you for your prayers, especially Andi Young, who left some kind comments on my original posting for a prayer request. Andi, whose blog is Ditch the raft, is an American Buddhist in Korea. His blog has done a lot to dispel the misconceptions I've carried about Western Buddhist converts; most of the ones I've met know very little about the religion and don't even attempt to practice it. Andi definitely knows his stuff. While it would be a lie to say I think he has made the correct choice in his religion, I can at least admire his sincerity.

Andi might be interested to know that my father was once a Buddhist. He was unchurched as a child, but became a Buddhist in San Francisco in the 1960s, not as a hippie, but as a draftee sent to that city as an MP to quell riots. His dog-tags even list his religion as such.

As a child, my mother, sister, and I began to attend the Lutheran church of the pastor who was our next door neighbor. My father later told me that he started to attend church because the pastor told him that I said my one wish was that my father would attend church (I was too young to remember that now).

My father is now and elder and a healing minister in his Lutheran church, while his son has crossed the Tiber and become a papist, an adherent to all sorts of Romish doctrines.