Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Iranian Gypsies

Re: Snapshots of Tehran's Roma People: Though many people think the Roma are always on the move, most live in big cities like Tehran

Stories about the Roma and Jewish diasporas (and all diasporas) interest me greatly. My paternal grandmother was half Hungarian Gypsy and half Romanian Jew. Her parents met on the boat on the way to Ellis Island. The photo above looks like my cousin.

In addition to the blood mentioned above, I've also got Dutch, German, Irish, and English blood flowing through these veins. I guess that makes me, for better and worse, European, or non-ethnic, pan-ethnic, or maybe post-ethnic. I'd like to think this makes me 100% American.