Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Saturday, October 23, 2004

No Clear Choices Even Among Third Parties

The weaknesses of President Bush and Senator John Kerry and their parties are too numerous and well-known to be described here. Between these two viable choices, however, I have to reluctantly admit that President Bush is the better. Still, as a resident of a solidly blue state, I cast my vote for Michael Anthony Peroutka of the Constitution Party. I'm no die-hard supporter of the candidate or the party, but it seemed that I could best affect the system by placing a vote for a third party, especially given the fact that my one vote could in no way stop John Kerry from winning all of New York State's electoral votes.

I learned something disappointing about Candidate Peroutka today. From the Annals of the 9th Crusade by way of El Camino Real, I came across an article, Fox News Interview: Constitution Party's Michael Peroutka on White House Run, in which the candidate answers a question about his religious affiliation:
    "Well, I was raised Roman Catholic, I began then to be influenced by a reform Presbyterian movement. I actually attend a Protestant church now. I don't think the denomination is actually as important as we believe."

First of all, if demonination is not important, why do Protestants have 60,000 of them? (Catholicism, by the way, is not a denomination.) Furthermore, while I have nothing but respect for those raised in Protestantism, as I was, or those who come into the Christian faith through its missionary activities, one has to question the judgment of someone who leaves the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church for a Protestant church. Sure, he might have been improperly catechized, as many are, but it would still have been his responsibilty as an intelligent man to learn as much as he could about his faith. I'll pray for his return.

Some Catholic bloggers were right to find "creepy Protestant religious right" undertones in Peroutka's party and to suspect it of hoping to turn America into a "Calivinist hellhole." Still, the party is 100% anti-abortion and anti-war, and I don't regret my vote, especially given the other choices.

The Average Joe Shriner Campaign seems like a morally consistent option, although its positions on difficult issues like Terrorism ("Impact it at it's [sic] roots") seem too vague.

The Libertarian Party looks good, until you read their position on abortion (from Women's Rights and Abortion):
    "Recognizing that abortion is a very sensitive issue and that people, including libertarians, can hold good-faith views on both sides, we believe the government should be kept out of the question."

Not good enough.

There are no clear-cut choices even among third-party candidates. That should come as no surprise to Catholics and other Christians who recognize that in this fallen world there can be no utopia before the Parousia. Until then, we'll just have to try to do as much good and as least harm as possible.