Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Wednesday, October 27, 2004

A Pro-American Dream American Indian

Native American author Sherman Alexie, speaking at a panel discussion in France "about whether the world still believes in the American dream," quoted in What the French love about America:
    "I see white American writers on these stages disparaging the country, when everything they have is because of that country. The dream has not died. I am a millionaire because of my imagination. I don't know if you could find another society that has ever existed where somebody like me could become what he has become."

I've always thought the American Dream was, or at least could be, about something other than becoming a millionaire. Still, Mr. Alexie's words are welcome.