Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Thursday, December 09, 2004

John Lennon

Don't miss the comments of fellow Beatles-fan Serge of A conservative blog for peace on yesterday's anniversary of the murder of John Lennon: Who the secular world is commemorating today.

I was so caught up with trying to find out whether or not the Feast of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary was a Holy Day of Obligation (not to mention an 8:00 AM to 8:45 PM workday) that I forgot the secular significance of December 8th. I still remember that day as a ten-year-old when I learned the news from my mother before breakfast. I was already a Beatles fan, thanks largely to my parents' albums. The news stunned me.

Back to Serge's post: I agree with his insights, especially that the song "Imagine" was "an antichrist anthem whose truths were ripped off Christianity." Serge also notes that "the trouble with the 'Ballad of John and Yoko' is they were married to other people at the time." I've always found the glorification of cheap, selfish adultery, as if it were something beautiful and noble, whether in song or in movies like The English Patient, to be base and disgusting.

Still, John Lennon was a very talented singer and song-writer, one of the best of the Twentieth Century. His songs will be played and sung for decades, if not centuries, to come.