Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Sunday, December 12, 2004

Victor Jara

Victor Jara was a Chilean communist folk-singer tortured and murdered shotly after the September 11, 1973 coup d'état (Chile's 911) that brought General Agosto Pinochet to power. It is said that the soldiers crushed and burned his hands, gave him a guitar and demanded he play before machine-gunning him to death.

I laid a flower on his niche-grave when I was an exchange student in Santiago. In one of my classes there, I wrote an essay about him, which brought tears to my professor's eyes; she had been a friend of Victor Jara.

His music, regardless of its politics, is absolutely beautiful. It helped me to learn Spanish. Here is a site that offers many of his songs for free, as they are no longer available on commercial releases: Victor Jara rarities in MP3. Start with Te recuerdo Amanda, a song of working-class love.

He was again in the news today:

Colonel charged over Jara killing