Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Friday, January 28, 2005

Classroom Abortion Debate

As a final activity in my "Advanced English Speech Communication" course, I have my students form groups and choose a topic for a formal debate. Today's group choose as its proposition "Should Abortion be legalized?"

Although abortion is illegal in South Korea, according to both groups between 1.5 and 2 million babies are aborted each year here. Compare that with the 1.3 million that are aborted annually in the United States, a country with six times the population and where abortion is legal, and you can get a picture of the extent of abortion in this country. It was also reported that 90% of small hospitals' income comes from these illegal abortion.

The arguments used by both sides would be familiar to anyone who has given any thought to the issue. The con team argued from a Natural Law and Personalist prespective, while the pro team argued that defintions of life are relative, that happiness and freedom are the utmost values, or that abortion is a necessary evil.

My mind wandered during the hour-long debate. I found myself praying "Come, Lord Jesus" as I thought about the 35,000,000 souls killed in the US since 1973 and the 4000+ killed each day in South Korea. I also thought about Korea's recent social problems, and about Osama bin Laden, 9/11, and the Islamification of Europe, wondering if perhaps the chickens are coming home to roost.