Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Thursday, February 03, 2005

Nostalgia for the Nunc Dimittis

Yesterday was Candlemas, also known as the Feast of the Purification of the Blessed Virgin or the Feast of the Presentation of Christ in the Temple. Yesterday's Gospel reading comes from Luke 2:22-40, which includes the Nunc Dimittis.

I grew up chanting this beautiful canticle after communion every Sunday at St. John's Lutheran Church - Orchard Park, NY, which was next door to my home. I never realized how catholic the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod was until becoming Catholic myself.

Here's the version I grew up with, which I found at Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church - San Luis Obispo, CA:
    Lord, now lettest Thou Thy servant depart in peace according to Thy word, For mine eyes have seen Thy Salvation: which Thou hast prepared before the face of all people, a Light to lighten the Gentiles and the Glory of Thy people Is - - - rael. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost; As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.