Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Saturday, May 21, 2005

Cloning and Killing
Say what you (and I) will about the War in Iraq, President George W. Bush is on the right side against a far greater evil than this war: Bush Vows to Veto Stem Cell Legislation.

Our President:
    I'm very concerned about cloning. I worry about a world in which cloning becomes acceptable.

    I made it very clear to the Congress that the use of federal money, taxpayers' money to promote science which destroys life in order to save life is — I'm against that. And therefore, if the bill does that, I will veto it.
Just today, I read these very appropriate words from Positivist turned Conservative George Gissing:
    I hate and fear "science" because of my conviction that, for long to come if not forever, it will be the remorseless enemy of mankind. I see it destroying all simplicity and gentleness of life, all the beauty of the world; I see it restoring barbarism under a mask of civilization; I see it hardening men's minds and hardening their hearts; I see it bringing a time of vast conflicts, which will pale into insignificance "the thousand wars of old," and, as likely as not, will whelm all the laborious advances of mankind in blood-drenched chaos.
[quoted from pages 381-2 of The Conservative Mind by Russell Kirk)]