Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Tuesday, May 24, 2005

More on the Pontificator's Homecoming
Father Kimel's decision to leave the Episcopal Church and join the Roman Catholic Church is making waves in the media: Influential Episcopal priest leaves parish to convert to Catholicism. Here are his own words, quoted from the above article:
In the name of an ideology of radical inclusivity, the Episcopal Church has moved significantly away from the apostolic and catholic faith of Jesus Christ.

With the decision made by General Convention two summers ago to approve the ordination of noncelibate homosexuals and the blessing of same-sex unions, it has, in my judgment, become heretical.

I cannot in conscience represent the Episcopal Church to the world, nor can I in conscience summon sinners into its fellowship.

As my wife and close friends can well testify, my life has been an agony for me since the 2003 General Convention. I have struggled to discern God’s will for my life and for my ministry.

I have had to reassess my understanding of the Church from the ground up. I have finally concluded that I cannot in conscience remain an Episcopalian. I must be in the Church founded by Christ Jesus. It is thus my intention to enter into full communion with the Roman Catholic Church.
Deciding to join the Church Christ founded is of course an occcasion of great joy. However, it can also be a moment of intense sadness, as one leaves behind many friends and even family. The decision is all the more painful, and all the more courageous, when one has so much vested outside the Catholic Church, as Fr. Kimel does. He is giving up his entire livelihood to follow Christ. Would I do the same?

Fr. Kimel's blog, Pontifications, has long been a favorite of many Catholics, because in reality, he has always been about as Catholic as one can get. The blog's latest post, A Pontificator’s Daughter, is a real tear-jerker and an insight into difficulties the Kimels are now facing. They need our prayers.