Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Sunday, May 22, 2005

A Question of Conscience
Examining my conscience this evening before praying The Divine Mercy Chaplet, I remembered these words of Patrick J. Buchanan from an article linked to by Serge of A conservative blog for peace:
    What Newsweek did was shameful and stupid. I don't care if the item was true or false. It doesn't make any difference. You don't do something like this which damages a cause for which your countrymen are dying. It puts at risk the boys and men we sent over there. This was an explosive item. It was an inflammatory item. Anyone could see that just looking at it. Why would you stick that in print? What I'm asking about--these fellows--not their journalistic judgment, their common sense!
    [quoted from Pat Can Say the Darndest Things]
With these words, says Serge, the anti-war Mr. Buchanan "lets the side down." As much as I hate to disagree with one of my favorite bloggers, I'm afraid I must. I have removed all references to the story in question from this blog, for the reasons mentioned by Mr. Buchanan.

For the record, my guess is that the story is true.

Russell Kirk reiterates that Conservatism means "loyalty to persons and places." I'm an American and those boys over there are my fellow citizens.

I must confess, my reason for posting such material was largely out of pride; I hoped to demonstrate that I was a "liberal conservative" along the lines of Burke, Newman, or Taft. I am, but will have to find a different way of expressing this.

I will continue to oppose the war and pray for an end that is just for the Iraqi and Afghani peoples (a pull-out would be disastrous at this point). I'll post links to articles that support this position, especially from anti-war conservatives, but I will try to avoid linking to any inflammatory material.

Especially, I remain outraged at the torture and prisoner abuse, which are beneath a civilized nation. I will try to find a way to bring these issues into the discussion without adding to hate.