Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Monday, June 20, 2005

Cities
Here is another reason why I live in the sticks: Seoul World's Fifth-Most Expensive City: Survey.

Paraguay's capital, Asunción, named for the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was the world's cheapest. I spent less than 24 hours in that city, travelling from São Paulo, named for Saint Paul the Apostle, to Santiago, named for Saint James the Greater. I wish I had spent more time in Asunción. I found it to be a charming town and quite unique. It looked like any other modern Southern Cone city, but you could hear the exotic sounds of Guaraní spoken everywhere and men in business suits walked the streets drinking yerba mate from gourds.

I also spent less than 24 hours in the world's most expensive city, Tokyo, and have little desire to return. I spent $70 just to take the subway into the city center from Narita for a modest meal.