Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Thursday, June 30, 2005

O Sayang!
Many languages have words that defy a simple definition. Sayang, from Malay, is one such term, and one of the most beautiful words in any langauge. Often translated simply as "love" or "affection," it really describes love tinged with the sadness of knowing that the beloved will suffer in this life and eventually die.

"O Sayang!" I thought to myself last night as I was putting my two-year-old daughter to sleep, marvelling at her grace, innocence, and purity and recalling the barbaric world outside that will spare no effort in robbing her of those virtues.

English has, to my knowledge, borrowed two words from Malay: orangutan and amok. English would be all the richer if sayang finds a place in the lexicon some day.