Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Monday, July 18, 2005

Can I Live?
It is so rare that American pop culture produces anything morally uplifting, let alone unobjectionable, that when it happens it begs to be reported on.
I've read about this song in the blogosphere, but just yesterday heard it for the first time. Apparently, the very moving autobiographical pro-life song by a singer named Nick Cannon is sweeping the nation. JIMMY AKIN.ORG has linked to an article, Popular Singer's Music Video Brings Abortion Into Limelight, which provides the lyrics of the song, copied below, and this site where it can be heard online: nickcannonmusic.com.

Here are the lyrics:
    I'm Talking Ma

    I know the situation is personal, but it something that has to be told;

    as I was making this beat you was all I could think about; you heard my voice

    Yeah Just think Just Think, what if you could Just… Just blink your self away…

    Just Just wait just pause for a second. Let me plead my case.

    Its the late 70's Huh

    You seventeen huh.

    And having me that will ruin everything huh; it’s a lot of angels waiting for their wings you see me in your sleep, so you can't kill your dreams. 300 dollars that's the price of living, what?

    Mommy, I don't like this clinic; hopefully you'll make the right decision and don't go though with the Knife Decision; but it hard to make the right move when you in high school
    how you have to work all day and take night school

    hopping off da bus when the rain is pouring; what you want morning sickness or the sickness of mourning?

    [Chorus]
    I'll Always Be a part of you
    Trust Your Soul Know His Heart Is True
    If I Could Talk I Would Say To You
    CAN I LIVE …. CAN I LIVE? (Repeat)

    I'm a child of the King ain't no need to go fear me and I see the flowing tears so know that you hear me when I move in your womb that's me being scaring cause who knows where my future holds

    yo the truth be told you ain't told a soul yo; you ain't even showing I just 2 months old; though your clothes try to hide me, deny me, went up 3 sizes
    your pride got you lying saying ain't nothing but a migraine; it ain't surprising you not trying to be in WIC food lines

    Your friends look at you funny but look at you mommy; that's a life inside you, look at your tummy what is becoming ma; I am Oprah bound you can tell he's a star from the Ultrasound;
    Our Spirits Connected Doors Open Now Nothing But Love And Respect Thanks For Holding Me Down She Let Me Live...

    [Chorus]
    I'll Always Be a part of you
    Trust Your Soul Know His Heart Is True
    If I Could Talk I Would Say To You
    CAN I LIVE …. CAN I LIVE? (Repeat)

    It's uplifting for real y'all I ain't passing no judgment; ain't making no decisions; I am just telling y'all my story — my love life. I love my mother for giving me life. We all need to appreciate life. A strong women that had to make a sacrifice. Thanks for listening. Thanks for listening. Mama thanks for listening.
In his song, Mr. Cannon gives a voice to the most voiceless members of our society. How many lives will this one song save? How many young scared girls, thrown to the wolves by the valueless society in which they were raised, will remember its chorus on their way to the "clinic" and choose to do the right thing?

[photo from Nick Cannon The Official Fan Club Website, where the video can be seen and the t-shirts ordered]