Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Ex-Protestants and Ex-Catholics
Catholic convert Dave Armstrong, whose writing helped lead me into the Church, today quotes Presbyterian Church Historian Mark Noll on Differences in Converts:
    IgnatiusInsight.com: Is The Reformation Over? contains a section about former notable Evangelicals (Scott and Kimberly Hahn, Thomas Howard, Peter Kreeft, etc.) who have become Catholic in recent years. Although they offer criticisms, they have a very ecumenical attitude toward Evangelicalism. Are there counterparts, so to speak, within Evangelicalism–former Catholics who became Evangelical because of serious theological reflection and who now engage in ecumenical dialogue with Catholics, either formally or informally?

    Noll: I’m sure there must be, but most of the ex-Catholics I know or know about tend to be pretty severe on their Catholic past. Most ex-Catholic evangelicals of my acquaintance were not well catechized, and often their Catholic experience was nominal, mechanical, or (in some instances) abusive; by contrast, many ex-evangelical Catholics reasoned themselves into Catholicism from articulate evangelical positions. That difference helps explain the contrast in "ex"s (if, in fact, my experience speaks to a general situation).
This has been noted before, anecdotally, and is quite interesting and telling. The Catholic converts I've come across in real-life and on the Internet tend to operate more from the intellect, as Mr. Noll suggests. The ex-Catholics tend to the emotivist side. Still, while emotivism is to be surely rejected, rationalism can also not convince one of the Truth of Catholicism. Grace is needed. All the books I had read were not as effective as Sister Veronica's handing me a rosary on my first night of my Korean RCIA course and teaching me to pray it.