Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Saturday, October 15, 2005

Eminem and Outsourcing
For the record, I'm no fan of the performer I mention above, his genre of music, or what he represents. I did, however, watch the second half of his movie 8 Mile (2002) last night, as a result of flipping through channels not knowing what to do with myself while my wife and children are in the United States. I watched it as one might watch a documentary, and have to confess to having appreciated the film.

A few things struck me. First, Detroit looks a lot like Buffalo, NY, my hometown, only bigger and worse. The more important thing that struck me was the abyssmal situation of the disadvantaged, the underclass, the lumpenproletariat, or whatever term is en vogue these days. Let's call them the poor. Let me first say that the scenes of abject poverty were nothing new to me, although by the grace of God I've never myself been in such a situation. Without implicating anyone, let me say that such scenes are, in fact, uncomfortably close to home.

The film shows, perhaps unintentionally, and I will unapologetically sound like a Republican here, how the abandonment of fatherhood and other community standards has created endemic and generational poverty. I couldn't help but think, and I will unapologetically sound like a Democrat here, that talk of "family values" will have little resonance with folks who have no prospect of getting a job! I also couldn't help but think, and now I will unapologetically sound like a Buchananite, a Nadarite, or Lou Dobbs, that it is at best unpatriotic and at worst traitorous that American companies are opening plants in Shenzhou and Mumbai and not in Detriot and Buffalo, or worse moving them from the latter to the former!

So, where do the best and brightest of these kids from Detriot and Buffalo go to improve their lot? What is the only legal and moral avenue open to them? The military. These are the ones serving their country and fighting and dying in Mr. Bush's War. What will they come home to?

My laissez-faire friends will disagree with me, but I find this situation absurd and revolting beyond belief.

And here's a thought: if more of the young gangbangers and hoodlums had jobs, maybe they'd have less to rap about and American music could be cleaned up a bit.

UPDATE: Roger Ebert has something very enlightening to say in his review (::rogerebert.com:: 8 Mile):
    As it happens, on the same day that "8 Mile" was screened in Chicago, I also saw "Standing in the Shadows of Motown," a documentary about the studio musicians who created the Motown Sound. The contrast was instructive. On the one hand, a Detroit white boy embracing the emblems of poverty and performing in a musical genre that involves complaint, anger and alienation. On the other hand, black Detroit musicians making good money, performing joyously, having a good time and remembering those times with tears in their eyes. What has happened to our hopes, that young audiences now embrace such cheerless material, avoiding melody like the plague? At least in their puritanism they still permit rhymes.