Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Saturday, October 15, 2005

Interpreters
About ten years ago, I took an intensive course in English-Spanish simultaneous interpretation. I had just returned from a year in Chile, and thought I was a hot-shot. The course was one of the most humbling experiences of my life. I was in no way, shape or form up to the task.

Our instructor informed us that studies had shown that interpreting and performing brain surgery require equal amounts of mental exertion. For this reason, interpreters at the UN only work for fifteen-minute shifts.

Call me a revolting sexist pig for this next remark, but women seem to have an innate advantage over men when it comes to interpreting, and in language in general. That is one reason why such a large number of women excel in this field, like the madamoiselles mentioned in this article: Interpreters Unravel the Spoken World.