Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Sunday, October 30, 2005

Je me souviens
"Canada is a beautiful country, but it is not mine," says Elsie Lefebvre, 26, of the Parti Quebecois, quoted in Ten years later, Quebec again flirts with independence.

I was staying with a friend's family, the Nguyens, in Toronto on October 30, 1995, when Québec nearly won its independence. We were glued to the television as the electoral returns were announced. This time, Québec just might succeed.

I visited beautiful Québec a few months after that vote. Growing up on the border with Ontario, I've always had an affinity for Canada, but visiting Québec for the first time, I realized it was truly a distinct society, whereas English Canada was basically just like America, but cleaner. The Quebecois were extremely friendly to me when they found out I was an American, and were quite willing to suffer through my horrible attempts at French.

In my travels, I have met fewer people more rabidly nationalistic than the English Canadians working here in Korea, especially those on the Left, and I have encountered fewer displays of hatred as intense as that the English Canadians harbor for the Quebecois. Although I normally do not like to offer opinions about the internal politics of countries in which I do not live, and as the English Canadians I've had the pleasure of knowing tend to have no reservations about opining on every aspect of American culture, society, and politics, Katolik Shinja is going to go out on a limb here and endorse the full independence and sovereignty of Québec.

Vive le Québec libre!