Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Monday, November 21, 2005

Bush in China
Yesterday, the President attended the state-sanctioned Gangwashi Church: Bush Attends Beijing Church, Promoting Religious Freedom*.

Yet, the day before, Red China was up to its usual tricks, as this article linked to by Seattle Catholic shows: China detains Catholic priest: group.

When I visited China in 1998, when I was still a Protestant, I went to an intenational church housed at a Japanese commercial center in Beijing. The authorities checked passports at the door, to make sure that Chinese nationals were denied entry. [I went with some Korean students I had met. The pastor was Australian and a group of African students performed the music for the service.] A week later, I stumbled into a venerable old Chinese Methodist church in Shanghai. It was as if the whole congregation turned to look at the strange visitor. An usher led me to a pew and a Chinese women shared her hymnal with me, a very kind but futile gesture, since I knew only a few Chinese characters. From what I've heard, Shanghai is much more liberal when it comes to matters of Faith, including the underground Catholic Church.

*Use BugMeNot.com to bypass registration.