Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Friday, December 09, 2005

Farewell...

Ddori (또리)
October 14, 1992 - December 09, 2005


I just returned from burying our dog Ddori, who passed away peacefully at home about four hours ago. I was holding him when he went.

When my wife Hyunae was a highschool girl, Ddori came to live with her and her family in Ulsan. He was the first member of my wife's family whom I met. We went on a picnic in May, 1999. After Hyunae and I were married the following year, Ddori came to live with us in Pohang.

I taught him that there was more to life than being an apartment dog, and walks in the neighborhood, the hills, and the parks became part of our daily routine. On his first walk in a park, he mistook a bush for a sofa, but after once failing to jump up onto it never did so again.

Ddori liked, among other things, straight rum, black beer, beef (but not LA kalbi), salmon, and broccoli. He also seemed to like the nocturnes of Frédéric François Chopin. He hated birthday cakes and candles, the sight of which would send him to the next room, because Korean birthday cakes come with noisy party poppers. He also hated fireworks.

Ddori was not that impressed with the two babies, Joy and Joel, whom we brought home in 2003 and this year respectively, but he warmed up to them quickly. Ddori was a fine family dog and fine example of his proud breed, the Yorkshire Terrier.

Less than two weeks ago, Ddori was diagnosed with having a tumor. I brought him back to Pohang from Ulsan, where he had been staying since August. Knowing Ddori to be a people dog, we thought he would do well temporarily in Ulsan while my wife and children were in the United States. My apartment is warmer than that of my parents-in-law, so we agreed Ddori would benefit from some warmth and I happily took him back. I enjoyed his companionship and wish I had done so earlier. In Pohang, Ddori and I took what would be our last walks along his favorite local trails.

In the last couple of days, Ddori needed a lot of help. The mighty Ddori had been humbled by his illness. Fortunately, with my schedule I was able to give it to him. After my class finished today at 12:15, I came home, helped him drink some water, and lay down beside him for a nap with my hand on his head. Less than an an hour later, when I awoke he stirred, looked up at me, and took what I immediateley knew was his last breath.

I took him to Ulsan with his favorite toys, a medal of Saint Francis of of Assisi from my wife and a Holy Card of the same saint that had sat beside his sick-bed.

I met my parents-in-law on a country road and we drove up to some land they own in the mountains. Following Korean custom, they brought along some food and snacks for him to take to the next world. My father-in-law and I dug a grave and buried a special dog who had meant a lot to a lot of people.

Ddori, I hope to see you again...