Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Monday, December 05, 2005

Local Mass Reports
Last night, I did something I rarely do: I went to my parish's 8:00 PM evening Mass. By chance, I ran into an exceptional former student of mine whom I did not know was Catholic. With my wife and children in the United States, it was very pleasant not to attend Mass alone. In the congregation, I recognized many current and former students, undergraduates, graduates, and researchers with families. Usually, I met one or two, but last night there must have been a dozen! I felt a real sense of Catholic community when meeting them, even briefly, after Mass.

Our parish, built only two-and-a-half years ago, has been remodeled. Funding ran out when it was initially constructed, and it ended up looking more like a meeting hall than a church. Now it looks like a Catholic church! There are some photos, which do not do it justice, at my parish's website:
Also, about two weeks ago, at daily Mass at a parish dowtown, a grandmother informed me that the convent at the nearby Catholic hospital has daily Mass at 6:10 AM. I went there for the second time this morning. It is a Novus Ordo of true beauty, replete with chanting and piety. A mass assisted by over 100 nuns in habits is quite a Godward way to start the day!