Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Korean Karaoke Rooms
From GNP Secretary General Sacked Over Fondling Scandal:
    The incident happened when the party moved on to a karaoke room at the same restaurant at around 10:10 p.m. after Park and the daily’s editor had left. Choi reportedly hugged the reporter, who was sitting next to him, from behind and fondled her breast. The reporter jumped up and protested before leaving the room. The other reporters complained to Choi, who was quoted as saying, “I’m sorry. I thought she was the owner” of the restaurant.
Sadly, if she had been the owner there would have been nothing wrong with the lecher's behavior, at least from a culturally relativist point of view.

One of my eye-opening experiences in Korea was going to a karaoke room with a member of the Anglican parish I was attending. He was a professor and I knew his wife and son. He got drunk quick, called a woman into the room, and began sloppily fondling her right there in front of me, the only other person in the room. I came to learn that such bevahvior was par for the course.

Another such incident occured last year, when a group of managers I was teaching took me to a karaoke room to celebrate the end of a course. Three girls who worked the establishment provided entertainment, which included singing and dancing. It came time for the eldest manager to demand the girls to stand in the front of the room, give a self-introduction and describe their first sexual experience. They were given the choice of either lifting their blouses or lowering their skirts. Among the managers was my son's godfather, my compadre. Providentially, I was engrossed in conversation with him when the girls' humiliation occured. Neither of is looked up and we were able to avoid mortal sin.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard Koreans boast of their conservative sexual mores vis-à-vis American degeneracy! Now, I'm not one to defend the cesspool that is American popular culture, but neither can it be said that lechery and humiliation of women are traditional values worthy of conserving.