Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Thursday, February 16, 2006

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)
Added yesterday to my library of film classics purchased at Korean supermarket bargain bins:
A stunning and exciting film, set against the backdrop of Monument Valley, about valor, duty, honor, service, family, patriotism (not nationalism), and all the others things folks used to hold dear.

I found particularly interesting an exchange between Capt. Nathan Brittles, played by John Wayne, and Chief Pony That Walks, in an amazing performance by Chief John Big Tree, who was a model for the Indian Head Nickel and was from my home state of New York. I enjoyed the scene not only for its anti-war (not pacifist) content, but also for its elaboration on the Good Life:
    Pony That Walks: Nathan! Nathan! I am a Christian. Hallelujah. Old friend me. Long time. Long time.

    Nathan Brittles: I come in peace, Pony That Walks.

    Pony That Walks: Take salt, Nathan. Take salt. Smoke pipe. Good, good.

    Nathan Brittles: Pony That Walks, my heart is sad at what I see. Your young men painted for war. Their scalp knives red. The medicine drums talking. It is a bad thing.

    Pony That Walks: A bad thing, Nathan. Many will die. My young men. Your young men. No good. No good.

    Nathan Brittles: We must stop this war.

    Pony That Walks: Too late, Nathan. Young men do not listen to me. They listen to big medicine. Yellow hair. Custer dead. Buffalo come back, great sign. Too late, Nathan. You will come with me. Hunt buffalo together. Smoke many pipes. We are too old for war.

    Nathan Brittles: Yes, we are too old for war... but old men must stop wars.

    Pony That Walks: Too late, too late. Many squaws will sing the death songs. Many lodges will be empty. You come with me. We hunt buffalo, get drunk together. Hallelujah, hallelujah!

    Nathan Brittles: No, old friend, I must go. I go far away.

    Pony That Walks: Then, Nathan, my brother... go in peace.
Friendship, smoking, drinking, hunting, and Christianity! It doesn't get much better than that!

The film also includes a few welcome nods to the C.S.A., like this one at the end when Capt. Brittles'receives word of his promotion from a Lt. Flint Cohill:
    Nathan Brittles: And will you look at these endorsements! Phil Sheridan. William Tecumseh Sherman. Ulysses Simpson Grant, President of the United States of America. There are three aces for you, boy.

    Flint Cohill: I kind of wish you had a full hand.

    Nathan Brittles: Full hand? What do you mean?

    Flint Cohill: Robert E. Lee, sir.
For what it's worth, director John Ford was a cradle Catholic; John Wayne was essentially a death-bed convert. [See The Religious Affiliation of Director John Ford and The Religious Affiliation of John Wayne.]