Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Monday, February 27, 2006

Tithing
The LA Times takes a look at the practice: Catholics Not Wedded to Practice of Tithing: A study shows they give less than Protestants do. Experts attribute the difference to a lack of a feeling of ownership toward the church.*

Frankly, I don't really care what the "experts" say.

The Catholic Church in Korea suggests 3%. This offertory suggestion from St. Cyril of Jerusalem parish, quoted in the article, makes sense: "10% of take-home pay; 5% directly to the parish; 5% to the poor and other charities." Msgr. Carl Bell, pastor of that parish, noting that so many young couples in his parish were struggling to pay mortgages, was quoted with the following:
    It's awkward to talk about money... I am not a fundraiser.
Here's a confession. Tithing was the issue that indirectly brought about my decision to leave our Anglican parish. Rightly or wrongly, for a variety of reasons I was giving less than 10%. Our parish was small and rather poor, as it was attended mostly by housewives. Its pastor, in a homily, mentioned that someone in the congregation propably made a certain salary, he quoted a figure, and was only giving so much, quoting another figure. It was obvious that I was the one being described. I was put off by this parish for other personal, not doctrinal issues, and I stuck around for a year or so. When I was about ready to get confirmed, a new pastor again brought up money rather directly. Although the priest was right, I was put off, due to sinful pride, and sent a humble email to the Anglican bishop in Pusan that I was not ready for confirmation.

My wife and I began to look for a new church. I was not interested in Korean Presbyterianism, as I was at the time moving toward Anglo-Catholicism. The nearest Orthodox parish, my first choice, was about two hours away. My wife suggested the Catholic Church, into which her sister had married, and I reluctantly accepted her suggestion. I was put off at first by the liturgy, which was inferior in beauty to that of the Korean Anglicans, but stuck it out and read some Church history. We went for instruction a few months later. I was handed a rosary by a nun the first night and was hooked.

Thus, being a tightwad led me to the Catholic Church.

*Use BugMeNot.com to bypass registration.