Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Anti-Americanism in South Korea, or Relative Lack Thereof
"According to a survey, the United States was considered South Korea's best ally. China is the biggest threat while Japan is second and North Korea, technically still at war with Seoul, is third:" South Koreans see China, not North Korea, as threat for national security.

I feel the same way. Living in the South, I'm not very worried by North Korea, repressive, grotesque, and insane as its régime may me. If I were Korean, however, I'd be very worried for my country's future with China next door.

These statistics surprised me:
    The United States, which has about 30,000 troops in South Korea to support the country's 690,000 troops, was considered South Korea's best ally by 81.7 percent of respondents. China was a distant second at 6.1 percent.