Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Friday, May 19, 2006

America Now Has a National Language
I'm happy the Senate didn't say "Official Language": Senate Votes English as 'National Language'.

I like that the U.S. has no official language. It seems in keeping with a limited government. A National language is defined as one that "uniquely represents the national identity of a nation and/or country." That's true of English in the United States, I'd say.

I don't think this bill will have any effect on my career in English Language Teaching. Ninety percent of the immigrants I knew a decade ago wanted to learn English, and I cannot think of anyone who didn't want their children to learn the language. Bilingual education, in my experience, is something that is wanted mainly by professional educationists, the types who never step into a classroom. Private multilingualism, something this bill will not effect, is something that should be encouraged and is nothing knew to the U.S. I once found an old cereal box in English, Polish, and German (in Gothic script) on the streets of Buffalo's East Side, now a Black community.