Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Friday, May 26, 2006

An Argument for Design
Gord Sellar of eclexys and I have just exchanged books in a trade. He's a Canadian freethinker blogger in Korea. A while back, he wrote an scathing review* of Peter Kreeft's Between Heaven and Hell. In the comments, one of us suggested that we make a swap for Bertrand Russell's The Conquest of Happiness, which was sitting on my shelf. I offered to throw in a couple of short Marxist books I had, and he has sent me a science fiction novel entitled Calculating God, by Robert J. Sawyer.

It has been æons since I've last read any science fiction, so I opened up to a random page to see what type of writing I was in for. This is what I providentially found on page 60-1:
    But this strange expanding-before-freezing is hardly the only remarkable thermal property water has. In fact, it has seven different thermal parameters, all of which are unique or nearly so in the chemical world, and all of which independently are necessary for the existence of life. The chances of any of them having the aberrant value it does must be multiplied by the chances of the other six liekewise being aberrant. The likelihood of water having these unique thermal properties by chance is almost nil."
I've heard that argument for design before and found it quite impressive. With this and all the arguments from Aristotle's Unmoved Mover to Pascal's Wager, we Theists seem to be on much more rational ground than our Atheist friends.

*I've begun reading the book and have already found its weaknesses. It is an imaginary conversation between C.S. Lewis, John F. Kennedy, and Aldous Huxley, all of whom died within a few hours of each other. These three figures represent the Theist, Humanist, and Pantheist positions. I'm on page 41, and so far Lewis has been tearing Kennedy to shreds, which probably would have happened in real life, or afterlife. Still, it seems that Prof. Kreeft could have put better arguments in his Humanist's mouth. He comes off like a straw man.