Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Friday, May 26, 2006

The Few, the Proud, ...
the killers of women and children: Probe Finds Marines Killed Unarmed Iraqi Civilians*.

My brother-in-law is a Marine and he's about as stand-up a guy as you'll ever meet. But I can't help but remember the group of guys who joined the Marines from my high-school. When they weren't fighting with baseball bats, their idea of a good time was to go to the county fair and stab pigs with concealed knives. I remember riding in the car of one of these fellows (I hung with a rough crowd) when we drove past an elderly nun in her habit. He shouted, "I'm an anarchist, you evil b----!" He meant to say "atheist," I believe. These guys came back from Iraq War I bragging about shooting surrendering Iraqi soldiers.

By no means do I intend to suggest all, or even a majority of, Marines fit the above description. But America has been turning out these kinds of young "men" for quite a while, and it seems they might often find their only legal outlet in the USMC.

*Use BugMeNot.com to bypass registration.