Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Wednesday, May 17, 2006

A Rural Korean Gongso
A couple of photos I took of a parish in Uljin on one of our Recent Trips:


The church was a gongso, which means, being too rurally located, it had no regular parish priest. I peaked inside and noticed there were no pews, just like Korean churches of old. I wonder if the men sat on one side of the church and the women on the other, as I've seen in old pictures.

The gongso above is quite modern, but not offensively so; it's recognizable as a church. Here's a photo of a 100-year-old gongso I stumbled across more than a year ago:
More exterior and interior photos of this gongso can be found in my post about An Accidental Day Trip into Korean Catholic History.