Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.

Now Blogging Afresh at Ad Orientem 西儒 - The Western Confucian



Tuesday, June 27, 2006

On the Jukebox
This was lent to me by a colleague who's granola but not conservative:
This is a fantastic collection of three sessions of "deep Americana," to borrow Taj Mahal's phrase, recorded in 1972, 1989, and 2002 respectively. I'm still on the first. American Roots Music grabs me like no other genre except perhaps Polyphony.

I was born in Ohio and raised in Upstate New York, but three-fourths of my ancestry lies in the American South. My father was named after General Robert E. Lee. My home was multigenerational, and my grandmother from Mississippi was the greatest influence on my character and values. We attended family reunions in West Virginia. I grew up with Country Music on the radio.